WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

Follow Us

 Top 5 Holiday Toxins


1. Chocolate
This tasty treat accounts for the vast majority of holiday calls to the
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (Halloween and Valentine’s
Day don’t even come close). Why? Often it’s because of wrapped
chocolate gifts left under the tree. And with the popularity of higher
cocoa content, it takes even less candy to get our four-legged friends
into a world of trouble.
 

2. Tree Preservatives
What is generally seen is mild gastrointestinal upset. However, if there is bacterial
contamination, the potential for gastrointestinal upset can be more significant.
 

3. Poinsettias
Poinsettias are primarily mucous-membrane irritants – and despite the
worry they cause pet owners, the plants aren't usually too dangerous
if treated properly.
 

4. Medications
Guests. Winter colds. Kids home from school. This trifecta of medication exposure
dangers calls for extra caution. Add the fact that worried pet owners generally can’t
remember how much medicine was actually in that little baggie that the pup ate, and you
can just feel a headache coming on. Any and all medications need to be stored up high
or in a locked cabinet.
 

5. Alcohol
Yes, some days we feel like going home and having a stiff drink after
dealing with all those chocolate cases. However, right now we are
talking about the little Chihuahua who likes to scale the couch and
help herself to the owner’s eggnog. The good news: Animals usually
vomit after alcohol ingestion. The bad news: Alcohol is absorbed
quickly.

courtesy of:  ASPCApro.org